From Rodale News
Sabra Dipping Company is recalling about 30,000 cases of Classic Hummus due to a possible contamination with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes, which can cause listeriosis in humans. Sabra did not indicate how this possible contamination occurred, but no other Sabra product has been recalled except for the Classic variety.
Products affected include:
• Sabra Classic Hummus, 10 ounce, use by date May 11 and May 15, 2015
• Sabra Classic Hummus, 30 ounce, use by date May 11, 2015.
• Sabra Classic Hummus without Garnish, 32 ounce, best by date May 11, 2015
• Sabra Classic Hummus, 17 ounce six pack, best by date May 11, 2015
• Hummus Dual Pack Classic/Garlic, 23.5 ounce, best by date May 11, 2015
See the full release for more details on UPC/SKU details. Products may be returned for a full refund at the store where it was purchased and customers can call Sabra with questions at 1-888-957-2272, Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4:30 PM Central Time.
The good news is that hummus is super simple to make. Try this recipe fromMen’s Health Workout War by Jim Cotta.
1 BPA-free can (15 ounces) organic garbanzo beans
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1. Drain the beans, keeping the liquid for later.
2. Place the beans and rest of the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
3. Process the ingredients for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the reserved bean liquid in small amounts until you get the desired consistency.
5. Chill and serve.
Makes 8 servings
Nutrition per serving (1/4 cup): 90 calories, 3 g protein, 4 g fat, 10 g carbohydrates
BY JULIA WESTBROOK for rodalenews.com